What is Data Governance and why is it important?
Organizations can lower the risk of data breaches, maintain regulatory compliance, and improve data quality with the help of Data Governance. According to a report, businesses with effective Data Governance procedures have experienced a 20% boost in productivity and a 50% decrease in errors and risks associated with poor data quality. Data Governance is the systematic management of data as a valuable business asset. It includes regulations, guidelines, practices, and technological advancements that enable businesses to effectively manage the accessibility, security, and integrity of their data.
Table of Contents:
- What is Data Governance?
- Data Governance Tools
- Why is Data Governance Important?
- Benefits of Data Governance
- Data Governance vs Data Management
- Data Governance Challenges
Watch this video on Big Data Hadoop Training and get trained by experts
“name”: “Hadoop Training”,
“description”: “What is Data Governance and why is it important?”,
“name”: “Intellipaat Software Solutions Pvt Ltd”,
What is Data Governance?
Data Governance is the systematic management of data as a valuable business asset. It involves defining policies, standards, and processes for collecting, storing, using, maintaining, and ensuring that they are followed by all stakeholders.
To support business goals, Data Governance aims to make sure that data is reliable, well-managed, and used ethically and efficiently.
Stakeholders from several organizational departments, including IT, legal, compliance, security, data management, and business teams, are involved in Data Governance.
The role of Data Governance is becoming increasingly important as organizations generate and collect more data and as regulatory requirements for data protection and privacy becomes more powerful.
Want to work in the field of big data? Enroll in the Hadoop Developer training at Intellipaat to get started.
Data Governance Tools
These are some of the widely used Data Governance tools in the market, but the right one for your organization will depend on your specific needs and requirements. It is recommended to evaluate several options and consider factors such as features, cost, compatibility with existing systems, and vendor support.
Here are some of the popular Data Governance tools:
- Talend: An open-source tool that offers a wide range of data management and governance capabilities, including data integration, data quality, and metadata management.
- Informatica MDM: A comprehensive Master Data Management solution that helps organizations centralize and manage their master data.
- Collibra: A cloud-based Data Governance platform that provides data cataloging, data lineage, and data privacy features.
- Azure Data Catalog: A cloud-based metadata management tool that enables organizations to discover, understand and share data assets across their enterprise.
- InfoSphere Information Governance Catalog: A tool for managing metadata and Data Governance policies, and for discovering, classifying, and cataloging data assets.
- SAP Master Data Governance (MDG): It is a master data management solution offered by SAP that helps organizations manage and govern their critical business data.
- Data Stewardship: A cloud-based data stewardship solution that enables organizations to monitor, assess, and improve the quality of their data.
Study these Hadoop Interview Questions And Answers to get yourself ready for the big data profession.
Why is Data Governance Important?
Data Governance is important because of the increasing number of data privacy regulations, it allows organizations to ensure that their data collection, processing, storage, and usage comply with applicable laws, regulations, and industry standards, as well as their company goals and long-term success.
Moreover, a company’s reputation could be harmed by using data of poor quality, which could result in inaccurate assumptions and bad decisions. Data Governance makes sure data is gathered, processed, and stored properly as well as that its quality is monitored and maintained over time.
Benefits of Data Governance
Implementing Data Governance requires a commitment from the entire organization and involves cross-functional collaboration. But the benefits of effective Data Governance, make it well worth the investment.
Here, are a few benefits of Data Governance that you must know.
- Data Quality: Data Governance helps organizations to ensure that their data is accurate, complete, and consistent, which is essential for making informed business decisions.
- Compliance: It benefits organizations to comply with regulations and standards and other requirements for protecting and managing sensitive data.
- Better Collaboration: Data Governance ensures that everyone in an organization has access to the right data, at the right time, and in the right format, which is essential for effective collaboration and teamwork.
- Increased Trust in Data: By establishing clear policies and procedures for managing data, organizations can increase trust in their data and reduce the risk of errors and misunderstandings.
- Data Security: It helps organizations secure and protect their data assets, prevent data breaches, and maintain the privacy and confidentiality of their customers and partners.
- Cost Savings: Effective Data Governance can help organizations reduce the cost of managing data by improving data quality, reducing data redundancies, and reducing the risk of errors and misunderstandings.
Intellipaat’s Hadoop Tutorial can help you learn more about big data concepts.
Data Governance vs Data Management
The two concepts of Data Governance and Data Management are differentiated in the below table.
|Data Governance||Data Management|
|Focuses on establishing policies, procedures, and standards for managing data.||Focuses on the practical aspects of managing data.|
|Addresses data quality, security, privacy, and compliance issues.||Addresses data modeling, warehousing, integration, and archiving.|
|Defines roles and responsibilities for managing data.||Ensures that data is stored in a centralized and accessible manner.|
|Sets guidelines for data collection, processing, storage, and use.||Manages data quality, security, and privacy.|
|Ensures that data is used in a consistent and reliable manner.||Supports data-driven decision-making and business processes.|
Data Governance Challenges
There are several challenges that organizations face when implementing and maintaining a successful Data Governance program. For dealing with these challenges, organizations require a well-designed Data Governance structure, and clear policies and procedures.
Below are some of the Data Governance challenges:
- Lack of Ownership: It is not always clear who is responsible for the data, leading to confusion and inefficiencies in decision-making.
- Data Security: Protecting sensitive and confidential information from unauthorized access or theft is a constant concern.
- Data Quality: Ensuring the accuracy, completeness, and consistency of data is a major challenge, especially in organizations with large amounts of data.
- Data Privacy: With increasing regulations like General Data Protection Regulation(GDPR), organizations need to ensure that they are complying with privacy laws and protecting the personal data of individuals.
- Resistance to Change: Adopting a Data Governance program can involve significant changes to existing processes and ways of working, which can be met with resistance from employees.
- Technical Complexity: Maintaining Data Governance systems and processes can be technically complex, requiring specialized knowledge and resources.
- Limited Budgets: Implementing a Data Governance program can be expensive, and organizations may not have the budget or resources to apply it.
Data Governance is a crucial aspect of modern organizations’ information management. By establishing clear policies, procedures, and standards for managing data, organizations can ensure the accuracy, reliability, and security of their data assets.
Organizations must take Data Governance seriously if they want to succeed in the long run in the data-driven business environment of today. Now is the time to invest in this essential area of Data Governance, regardless of whether you’re just getting started or looking to upgrade your current Data Governance framework.
If you can have any doubts related to big data, then visit our Big Data Community.
The post What is Data Governance and why is it important? appeared first on Intellipaat Blog.
Blog: Intellipaat - Blog
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.