Importance of Gauging and Maintaining Team Health
Blog: Agile Adoption Roadmap
- Initiate and continually gauge the health of the team. This could be in the form of morning check-ins or online pulse surveys (e.g., 1-10 on how you are feeling). This helps you gauge when team health is a concern on not. Depending on what you learn, there may be continuous and impromptu things you can do.
- Periodically ask the team via brainstorming ideas from the team as to what they need to maintain team health. Soliciting ideas from them makes the team feel that you care.
- Have virtual yoga mornings. This can be initiated by either a professional yoga instructor or one of the team members that enjoys a leadership opportunity. Similarly, this could be a virtual walking morning.
- Provide flexibility in work hours. As spouses and children are within the remote office (aka, home), flexible hours help relieve stress from juggling family schedules
- Set boundaries on work schedule. As the house becomes the “office”, it can be harder to escape the office and ‘shut off’. Ensure there are work hour boundaries set so team members feel they have relief.
- Recommend employees connect with one other team member every day in a face-to-face manner via video conferencing. This helps team members feel connected to one another in a visual manner.
- Periodically apply a Wellness weekend. This is effectively a long weekend where team members have Friday off to give them time to unwind beyond the normal 2-day weekend.
- Send care packages to team members. These packages do not have to be extensive and should be focused on highlighting appreciation. This surprise also makes for a way to break the monotony of everyday life.