Implementing SOA : Total Architecture in Practice
Putting Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) into Practice
“This book is a must-have for enterprise architects implementing SOA. Through practical examples, it explains the relationship between business requirements, business process design, and service architecture. By tying the SOA implementation directly to business value, it reveals the key to ongoing success and funding.”
—Maja Tibbling, Lead Enterprise Architect, Con-way, Inc.
“While there are other books on architecture and the implementation of ESB, SOA, and related technologies, this new book uniquely captures the knowledge and experience of the real world. It shows how you can transform requirements and vision into solid, repeatable, and value-added architectures. I heartily recommend it.”
—Mark Wencek, SVP, Consulting Services & Alliances, Ultimo Software Solutions, Inc.
In his first book, Succeeding with SOA, Paul Brown explained that if enterprise goals are to be met, business processes and information systems must be designed together as parts of a total architecture. In this second book, Implementing SOA , he guides you through the entire process of designing and developing a successful total architecture at both project and enterprise levels. Drawing on his own extensive experience, he provides best practices for creating services and leveraging them to create robust and flexible SOA solutions.
- Evolving the enterprise architecture towards an SOA while continuing to deliver business value on a project-by-project basis
- Understanding the fundamentals of SOA and distributed systems, the dominant architectural issues, and the design patterns for addressing them
- Understanding the distinct roles of project and enterprise architects and how they must collaborate to create an SOA
- Understanding the need for a comprehensive total architecture approach that encompasses business processes, people, systems, data, and infrastructure
- Understanding the strategies and tradeoffs for implementing robust, secure, high-performance, and high-availability solutions
- Understanding how to incorporate business process management (BPM) and business process monitoring into the enterprise architecture
Whether you’re defining an enterprise architecture or delivering individual SOA projects, this book will give you the practical advice you need to get the job done.