HOW TO INVESTIGATE CYBER CRIME AND BE CYBER SECURE
Blog: NASSCOM Official Blog
Investigating any crime isn’t a simple job. It needs years of study to be told a way to solve arduous cases, and find those cases resolved. This not solely applies in planet crime scenes, however additionally to those within the digital world. As we all know cybercrimes are happen each second with completely different process, as criminals are victimization completely different techniques to duped people. As associate degree investigator or as a cyber security skilled we’ve to additionally updated with new technologies, cyber threats additionally as investigation & forensics tools.
WHAT IS CYBER CRIME INVESTIGATION?
Before continuing to the “Investigation”, let’s begin with some basics. Net crime or cybercrime that involves usage of communication devices & the other devices connected to a network.
These electronic gadgets will be used for one. Perform cybercrime or act because the victim, by receiving the cyber threats from different malicious sources.
Hence, a cybercrime investigation is that the method of investigation, analysing & ill theoretical knowledge from networks & communication devices concerned within the attack from culprits.
Cybercrime investigators are knowledgeable in comp. sci, understanding not solely computer code, file systems & operational systems, however networks & hardware works. They need to assume like a moral hacker, to urge a full image of what happened, why it was happened, who performed the illegal activities, once it happened & however victims will defend themselves against these sorts of cyber threats.
WHO CONDUCTS CYBER CRIME INVESTIGATIONS?
1. Law Enforcement Agencies
2. Cyber Cell
3. Private Investigative Agencies
CYBERCRIME INVESTIGATION TECHNIQUE
While investigation techniques could vary relying upon the sort of crime being investigated, additionally as who is applying the cyber investigation, most net crimes are subject to some common techniques used throughout the crime investigation method.
• BACKGROUND ANALYSIS
Creating & shaping the background of the cybercrime with renowned facts can facilitate investigators set a starting purpose to as certain what they’re facing, & what quantity info they need once handling the initial crime report.
• INFORMATION GATHERING/SOCIAL ENGINEERING
The most necessary things any cyber investigator should to is grab the maximum amount info as do able concerning the incident. Was it an automatic attack, or a human-based targeted crime? Was there any chance for this attack to happen? what’s the scope? what’s the impact? will this sort of cyber threats or attack will be performed by anyone, or by sure individuals with specific skills? who are the potential suspects? What net crimes were committed? wherever will the proof be found? can we have access to such proof sources?
• TRACKING DETAILS
Next step is typically performed throughout the data gathering method, looking on what quantity information is already in hand. so as to spot the criminals behind the crime, each non-public & security agency work with ISPs corporations to urge necessary log info concerning their connections, additionally as historical service, websites & protocol used throughout the time they were connected. To grab such king of details they have to reach to the nodal offices & they have to take permission from court of law.
Once investigators have collected enough knowledge regarding the crime, its good time to look at the digital devices that were affected, or those gadgets are alleged to concerned within the origin of the attack. The digital rhetorical method involves analysing network association information, HD, file systems, caching devices, RAM & more.
CYBERCRIME INVESTIGATION & FORENSICS TOOLS
• Slueth Kit (Autopsy)
• X-Ways Forensics
• Oxygen Detective
• Bulk Extractor
Cybercrime investigation isn’t a straight forward task. It needs the correct information combined with totally different techniques & tolls to leap into the cybercrime effectively & faithfully.
BE CYBER SECURE – CYBER SAFETY TIPS
COMPUTER SECURITY TIPS
• Keep your software package, browser and every one put in code up-to-date.
• Do not use pirated code. Besides being crime, it makes your laptop at risk of cyber-attacks.
• Use a decent anti-virus and firewall answer.
• Regularly backup your knowledge on Associate in Nursing external magnetic disc or USB drive. in addition, think about backing au fait a cloud service.
• Be careful before connecting USB devices to your laptop. they’ll contain malware.
• Be careful before downloading email attachments. they’ll contain malware.
• Use a robust word. Your passwords ought to be complicated and tough to guess. Ideally be a minimum of ten characters long & should have capital letters, little letters, numbers and special characters.
• Consider exploitation full disk secret writing or a minimum of encrypted pen-drives for securing your knowledge.
• When connecting to local area network, make sure you are connecting to the right network.
• Avoid clicking banner ads.
• Never click sudden pop-up windows that supply to get rid of spyware or viruses from your laptop.
PASSWORD SECURITY TIPS
• Your passwords ought to be complicated and tough to guess. Ideally, they must be a minimum of ten characters long and will have capital letters, little letters, numbers and special characters.
• It is also a decent plan to put in writing your passwords on a bit of paper. however, keep that paper hidden and safe.
• Do not email your passwords to anyone.
• Do not reply to Associate in Nursing email soliciting for your word.
• Do not use your passwords at public computers as these is also infected with keyloggers, Trojans and alternative malware and your word may get purloined.
PHONE SECURITY TIPS
• Use a robust word rather than a four-digit PIN.
• Ensure that the device mechanically locks itself if unused for over a moment.
• Download apps solely from sure locations.
• Carefully browse reviews regarding Associate in Nursing app before downloading it.
• Check the permission the app requests.
• Ensure you transfer and install all software package and app updates.
• Turn off automatic local area network connections.
• Turn off Bluetooth and NFC once not needed.
SAFE E-BANKING SECURITY TIPS
• Connect to your web site exploitation device that has the most recent and updated security code, applications programme and software package.
• Take an output signal of the dealing confirmation store this output signal until you cross certify dealing in your monthly statement.
• Check your account on a daily basis.
• Have a minimum of 2 accounts
1. with net
2. while not net
• Change your net banking word a minimum of one’s a month.
• Password ought to be complicated.
• Do not keep giant sums within the checking account that has on-line banking services activated transfer money into this account as and once required. it’s recommended to urge Mastercard from banks within which you are doing not have Associate in Nursing account.
• Do not access your net banking account from a cyber restaurant or a shared laptop or once connected to a public local area network.
• To access your bank net banking, invariably sort within the correct uniform resource locator into browser ne’er click on a link in Associate in Nursing email to go to your bank website.
• You have over one net banking account, use totally different word for each account.
• Logout directly when you have got completed your dealing then shut the browser if you’re asking a shared laptop, it’s recommended to delete cookies and clear the browser history. Don’t enable your on-line banking word to be hold on within the browser.
• Never disclose your word or PIN to anyone, not even to bank worker.
• Always check the last login to your net banking account if you notice one thing suspicious within the last login records, report it to your bank directly and alter your word.
SOCIAL NETWORKING SAFETY TIPSa
• Everything post on social networking website is also permanent and accessible to world.
• Your personal data is also used by hackers, stalkers and criminals suppose before post.
• Choose your social networking fastidiously.
• While making account the positioning might enkindle answers to hint queries. ne’er offer answer that others will apprehend or guess.
• Be cautions after you click links in message from your social media friends/connection.
• Think before acceptive friend or association requests.
• Think and analysis before putting in third party application.
• Learn regarding and use the privacy and security settings on your social networking.
• Photos clicked employing a smartphone might have geolocation embedded. take away this before posting/sharing the image.
• If somebody is harassing, bullying or threatening you take away them from your friends list, block them, and report them to the positioning administrator and also the police.
• Use robust word.
Harshita C. Jadhav
The post HOW TO INVESTIGATE CYBER CRIME AND BE CYBER SECURE appeared first on NASSCOM Community |The Official Community of Indian IT Industry.