Data Virtualization Performance Facts and Myths
Blog: The Tibco Blog
Data virtualization’s ability to quickly deliver governed, secure, business-friendly data can be a huge advantage.
However, if you are considering data virtualization for the first time, you may be concerned about query performance, impact on production systems, and how it will affect your existing data integration and storage strategies. There are many misperceptions about data virtualization. Often times, these data virtualization concerns are based on either:
- An earlier understanding of data virtualization performance without fully considering recent, major technology advancements within products, such as TIBCO® Data Virtualization as well as the other advancements across adjacent technologies including databases, networks, processors, etc.
- An incomplete understanding of the myriad performance and workload management techniques inside data virtualization products that can help you meet service level agreements (SLAs).
Don’t let your organization be put off from a valuable tool because of these misunderstandings. Instead, ask the following five questions during early investigations to decide if the solution is right for you:
- Will data virtualization meet our query performance objectives?
- How will it impact our production systems?
- What if someone tries to “SELECT * everything”?
- Can we continue to use our data warehouses, marts, and lakes, or do we need to virtualize everything?
- Aren’t we better off continuing to use ETL and physical consolidation, just in case?
10 Data Virtualization Best Practices to Achieve your Performance SLAs
Learn how data virtualization addresses these questions and help your organization overcome these misperceptions. Download this whitepaper on the 10 Best Practices for Using TIBCO® Data Virtualization to Achieve Performance SLAs to get started.
Here’s a sneak peek at the 10 best practices:
- Keep your eyes on the prize!
- Continue with what already works.
- Understand when best to virtualize versus physically consolidate.
- Just do it and see what happens.
- Let built-in intelligence optimize performance for you.
- Leverage massive parallel processing for an extra performance boost.
- Manually tune your queries for corner cases.
- Apply caching only when it makes sense
- Implement workload management as an SLA insurance policy.
- When all else fails, fall back on alternative data integration techniques.
Go forward with confidence
With these best practices in hand, you can dispel performance myths and join the thousands of other firms who are successfully benefiting from data virtualization today. Watch this on-demand webinar to learn more about how to gain a competitive advantage with TIBCO® Data Virtualization and go forward with confidence!