12 steps to project success
- Start with success criteria
Understand who the players are: Who are stakeholders, who are consumers/customers and who are decision makers? What do each of them want?
Does everyone have the same understanding of the goals?
- What does ‘done’ look like?
- Start with the project sponsor/owner’s vision.
What are the risks you are living with? Business Value (Does it have a tangible, sustainable benefit?) and Delivery (time, cost, feasibility, money?)
What should we really be doing?
- Are the goals reasonable?
- What are the gaps?
- What will you do about them?
Close the gaps in expectations.
Ensure the solutions team know what is expected.
- A plan that incorporates all the above?
- Create the vision with your inner circle.
Ensure that the solutions team have a system in place that helps monitor progress and surface problems quickly
Manage the issues
- Definition of done, etc
Thank everyone involved for their contribution
Bask in the glory of a successful project
- At the start, regularly while on the journey, then
- Pre-launch comms, launch comms, post launch comms.
- Set and manage expectations, then tell everyone what a great job has been done to embed a sense of satisfaction in people
Thank me later