Request for Inputs: Discussion Paper on Indian AI Stack released by DoT
Blog: NASSCOM Official Blog
The AI Standardisation Committee under the Department of Telecom (DoT) has released a Discussion Paper on the Framework of an Indian AI stack. The proposed AI stack, among other benefits, intends to provide easy interface with end user application, ensure data protection, enable easy consent management and provide legitimacy of backend services.
The paper proposes five horizontal layers – the infrastructure layer; the storage layer; the Compute layer; the Application layer and the Data/Information exchange layer and one vertical layer–the Security and governance layer.
The key functions of the proposed layers are below:
- Infrastructure layer
- Ensures setting up of a common Data controller including multi cloud scenarios- private and public;
- Ensures federation, encryption and minimization at the cloud end; and
- Ensures proper monitoring and data privacy of the data stored.
- Storage layer
- Ensures that the data is properly archived and stored in a fashion for easy access when queried; and
- Ensures that the Hot Data/ Cold Data/ Warm data are stored in appropriate fashion to ensure fast or slow data access.
- Compute layer
- Ensures proper AI & ML analytics;
- Certain template of data access and processing to ensure open algorithm framework is in place;
- Process ensures Natural Language Processing and Decision tree;
- Deep learning and Neural networks;
- Predictive models and Cognitive models;
- Analytics includes, Data engineering and sandboxing, Scaling and data ingestion, Technology mapping and Rule execution.
- Application layer
- Ensures that the Backend services are properly and legitimately programmed;
- Develop proper Service Framework;
- Ensure proper Transaction movement; and
- Ensure that proper logging and management is put in place for auditing if required at any point of time.
- Data/ information exchange layer
- Provides for End Customer Interface;
- Has Consent Framework for data consent from/to customers;
- Provides various services through secured Gateway services;
- Ensures that Digital Rights are protected, and the Ethical standards maintained;
- Provides for Open API access of the data and has Chatbots access; and
- Provides for various AI/ML Apps.
- Security & Governance layer
This is a cross cutting layer across all above layers that ensures that AI services are safe, secure, privately protected, trusted and assured.
The following aspects of the proposal requires careful consideration.
- Whether the proposed structure can provide the intended benefits?
- What changes needs to be made in the proposed structure for improvement?
We would like to have your feedback on the Discussion Paper. The deadline for providing feedback to DoT is 03 October 2020.