Metrics-Based Process Mapping: Identifying and Eliminating Waste in Office and Service Processes
Metrics-Based Process Mapping (MBPM) is a tactical-level, visual mapping approach that enables improvement teams to make effective, data-based decisions regarding waste elimination and measure ongoing process performance. The mapping technique, often used to drill down from a value stream map, integrates the functional orientation of traditional swim-lane process maps with time and quality metrics that are essential for designing improved processes.
Building on the success of its popular predecessor, Metrics-Based Process Mapping: An Excel-Based Solution, this book takes readers to the next level in understanding processes and process improvement. Included with the book is an interactive macro-driven Excel tool, which allows users to electronically capture their current and future state maps. The tool also audits the maps for completeness, summarizes the metrics, and auto-calculates the improvements.
Improvements to this version include:
- Foundational content about processes—what they are and how they vary
- A description of the difference between value-stream and process-level maps
- New content about how to bridge the gap between your current state and your desired future state
- Tips for effective team formation and mapping facilitation
- An implementation plan for those using the mapping methodology as a standalone tool and not part of a Kaizen Event
The Excel-based tool included on the accompanying CD provides readers with a user-friendly way to electronically archive manually created maps in team settings for easier storage and distribution across your entire organization. While current and future state MBPMs are initially created during team-based activities using butcher paper and post-its, the electronic maps serve as standard work documentation for the improved process, enabling training, communication, and process monitoring activities.
This flexible, user-friendly tool includes:
- A custom toolbar that simplifies map creation and editing
- Automated calculation of key metrics
- An audit feature to prevent mapping errors
- The ability to simulate how improvements will impact staffing requirements
System Requirements: The tool is intended for use on PCs using Excel 2003 or later—it will NOT function with earlier versions of Excel, or on Macintosh computers.
View a demo of the Excel tool at: www.mbpmapping.com