Best project management software for 2023
Blog: Monday Project Management Blog
Are scattered searches for project management software reviews leaving you frustrated? Maybe you’ve narrowed the search by price or features but you aren’t sure if the Project Management software is too simple or far too robust for your team’s size?
Let us introduce you to our reviews of the top project management software out there. Search or skim our list to quickly understand each software’s pros, cons, pricing plans, and if we recommend it for small business, mid-size, or enterprise companies.
Or maybe you’re ready to build your ideal project workflows and portfolios right away on our flexible Work OS?
What is project management software?
Project management software includes all the platforms and tools that help managers and teams plan, coordinate, and execute every aspect of project planning.
In short, it is made up of tools and apps designed to help you work more efficiently.
There’s an incredibly wide variety of project management software— from personal to-do lists to comprehensive “all-in-one” solutions —that facilitates the production of work for businesses of any shape and size.
How to choose a project management software?
When choosing a project management software, you should take into consideration several core criteria. Common factors include budget, potential for scale, team size, permissions and security options, file storage capacity, and integrations capabilities.
The other parts of your considerations should revolve around things like ease of use and challenges your team wants to solve. From there, you can create a short list of project management tools to consider.
What are the benefits of using software for project management?
Most successful organizations, teams, and individuals rely on software for project management because it offers many undeniable key benefits:
- Enhanced productivity
- Centralized file and data access
- Simple task management
- Transparency between team members
- Real-time goal setting and progress tracking
- Accurate resource management
- Better collaboration and communication
What features should a good project management software include?
One of the main benefits of good project management software is that it should serve as an all-in-one tool and provides these features:
- Seamless team collaboration and shared task lists
- Communication in real-time (notes, comments, files)
- Budget monitoring, so you don’t go over
- Time tracking to improve productivity
- Centralized file storing enabling everyone to see and access what they need
- Task delegation, with tags, files, due dates, descriptions, and more
- Cloud-based organization, so your team can work from wherever they are
Top 5 best project management software for 2023
Given the need for project management software with a vast range of features, it makes sense to start with our top picks for the most complete project management software and tools.
monday.com is a Work Operating System (Work OS) designed to help teams work without limits when it comes to project and task management. Monday work management offers a user-friendly and intuitive interface with a range of customizable features that cater to the specific collaboration and communication needs of any team across industries. Curious as to what customers are saying about us? See reviews.
Top features of monday.com:
1. Gantt Charts
monday.com Gantt chart view allows you to create task dependencies and update task owners and due dates with ease.
2. Workflow builder
Choose from 100s of pre-made automation recipes or create your own custom ones to create workflows that sync integrations, people, and more.
3. Time Tracking
Unlike most project management software, monday.com has a native Time Tracking Column.
- 24/7 customer support
- Excellent mobile app for on-the-go project management
- You might need to upgrade plans to get certain features
- No viewing options for non-users
Pricing: The starting price for monday.com is $8/month or $24/month billed annually. Each plan offers a free trial for 2 weeks, no credit-card required.
Why customers love monday.com:
- Trustradius: 8.5 out of 10, Voted in 2023: best features set, relationship and value
- G2: 4.7 out of 5 , Voted in 2023: Leader in over 18 categories
- Capterra: 4.6 out of 5 , Shortlisted in 2023 in over 8 software categories
Get in touch with our team of experts to get started.
Trello is a web-based project management tool that uses a board-based approach to help individuals and teams organize their tasks and projects. It is a popular and user-friendly tool that allows users to easily track their progress, collaborate with team members, and visualize their workflow simply and intuitively.
- Kanban cards: Trello uses Kanban cards to help you track task and project progress.
- Checklists: Break down cards into smaller tasks by adding checklists to them.
- Activity feed: See all recent changes and activity on your project board, like card updates and comments.
- It’s a great tool for teams who prefer iterations and Kanban.
- Teams can communicate in real time.
- Trello doesn’t offer project management software classics like Gantt charts or resource management features.
- Kanban cards might not be ideal for larger, complex, and unpredictable projects.
Pricing: Paid plans start at $12.50/month when billed annually. They also offer a free plan.
Basecamp is a project management tool that helps teams to stay organized, collaborate efficiently, and complete projects on time. It was first launched in 2004 by 37Signals, but later rebranded as Basecamp in 2014. Basecamp is a cloud-based project management software that can be accessed through a web browser, desktop, or mobile application.
- Hill charts: Basecamp uses unique hill charts to give you an overview of project progress.
- Automated check-ins: Create routine reminders for team members to provide project updates.
- File storage: Keep project documents and assets organized in the same place you manage projects.
- Basecamp is configured for communication with message boards and more.
- This software works well for small to medium-sized teams.
- There aren’t specific features for invoicing.
- Some users said it’s difficult to tag tasks with priority level or other attributes.
Pricing: Paid plans start at $89/month when billed annually. They also offer 30-day trials.
Wrike is a cloud-based project management software designed to help teams streamline their workflows and collaborate more effectively. It was founded in 2006 by Andrew Filev and has since grown into a popular tool used by businesses of all sizes to manage projects from start to finish.
- Integrations: Wrike integrates with project management must-haves like Google Drive, Zendesk, WordPress, Zapier, Slack, and more.
- Wrike Approvals: The software has a dedicated feature to make the project review process smoother.
- Budget & expense management: Customize currency preferences and create default hourly rates and job roles for projects.
- Create dashboards for visual and accurate stakeholder communications.
- There is a high level of customization possibilities.
- Some users had hoped for more triggers and actions available under their automation engine.
- You have to pay extra for advanced reporting.
Pricing: Wrike’s Team plan starts at $9.80 per user/month. They have a free plan as well as trials.
Asana is a popular project management tool designed to help teams collaborate and manage their tasks and projects more efficiently. Asana has gained a reputation as a reliable and easy-to-use tool for project management, and it is used by many businesses and organizations around the world.
- Calendar view: See all of your most important deadlines in one dedicated calendar.
- Agile framework: The software has a time boxed, iterative approach for product development workflows.
- Change requests and case management: Enable efficient tracking of customer requests with priority and timeline.Unlimited workspaces and collaborators
- Manage all project documentation in one place.
- Asana also uses drag-and-drop for ease of use.
- Asana may not be suited for larger teams or those who don’t prefer an agile approach.
- Limited customization options, such as notifications.
Pricing: Plans start at $10.99/month and they offer a free plan for individuals and small teams.
Choose the project management platform that will best fit your business
Well, that was a lot of information, wasn’t it? We’re here to help you make some sense of it all.
As more teams work remotely and more businesses see the value of an organized work environment, it’s so important that your business identifies which platform is right for you.
Do you want something focused on time and task management? Or something more complete (like monday.com) — a customizable, open platform that makes work…work.
Get in touch with our team of experts to get started.
The post Best project management software for 2023 appeared first on monday.com Blog.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.