Are there Benefits for adding ChatGPT as a team member?
Blog: Agile Adoption Roadmap
There is evidence that ChatGPT can be beneficial in helping you do your work. Involving ChatGPT today is already occurring in repetitious, creative, and diagnostic type work. Some say it’s inevitable and you should learn to work with many forms of AI. Current uses have shown that it can improve work efficiency, assist with tedious tasks, help you with creative tasks, and facilitate learning. We are also learning that because ChatGPT is based on a large language model, it can act as your assistant; providing personalized responses based on your inputs, helping you work smarter, and boosting your productivity.
As it can help an individual in their work, how about helping a team? In this article, I explore how helpful ChatGPT can be for a team. In other words, I suggest making ChatGPT a member of your team. ChatGPT is an artificial intelligence chatbot capable of mimicking human-like conversations so why not be a member of your team? As mentioned, ChatGPT has been recognized to boost productivity so let’s consider the context of a software engineering team who are producing new features and correcting bug fixes to the code base. To consider this, here are the potential positives, negatives, and limitations of incorporating ChatGPT as an engineering team member. Here are some considerations:
First, let’s start with some Positives:
- Multi-tasking: ChatGPT can handle many questions, inquiries, and tasks simultaneously allowing certain work to be handled more efficiently and scaled to a higher volume of work.
- Quick feedback: ChatGPT provides quick feedback to questions and inquisitions allowing for more input for potential better options and decision-making.
- Availability: ChatGPT is technically available 24/7 and can work while team members rest allowing for busy work to get completed and tasks to be ready for team review when they are back online.
- Scalability: As an AI, ChatGPT can handle a high volume of inquiries without experiencing fatigue or requiring breaks.
- Database of information: ChatGPT has access to a vast amount of information and can provide accurate and up-to-date answers to team members’ queries.
- Human Languages: ChatGPT can speak in multiple languages and can accommodate global teams across multiple boundaries and locations.
- Programming Language: ChaptGPT has the potential for programming capability across various language platforms.
Next, let’s move to the Negatives:
- Time from Team Members: Working ChatGPT will take time from some team members. A buddy for ChatGPT will need to be designated to help provide context for ChatGPT, line up tasks, reduce ambiguity of the requests, verify and validate the work done by ChatGPT, and more.
- Lack of emotional intelligence: ChatGPT lacks emotional understanding and empathy, which may limit its ability to provide refined and empathetic output to team members.
- Limited contextual understanding: ChatGPT will struggle to understand the context in which you are working including the complexity of the work, potentially leading to misunderstandings or incorrect responses.
- Bias and completeness fn training data: the database from which ChatGPT pulls has already shown some bias based on patterns and data provided which means it may generate reasonable responses but may be incorrect or biased if not carefully reviewed.
- Lack of creativity: Because ChatGPT pulls from existing data and patterns, this limits its ability to generate genuinely innovative or creative ideas.
Finally, several considerations should be factored in. The first is ethical considerations as ChatGPT may inadvertently generate or reinforce biased or discriminatory responses due to its training data (which includes such biases). Careful monitoring and bias mitigation strategies will be necessary. The second consideration is legal and compliance challenges. Incorporating ChapGPT into a product team may raise legal and compliance concerns, particularly in regulated industries that require human input, oversight, and/or accountability.
It’s essential to consider these factors and strike a balance when integrating ChatGPT or any AI model into a product team. Human supervision, ethical guidelines, and continuous evaluation can help mitigate the limitations and ensure optimal utilization of AI technologies like ChatGPT. Now it is time for you to wrestle with this question: Are there Benefits of adding ChatGPT as a team member? Hopefully the overview, positives, negatives, and considerations can help you with your answer.