An Introduction to BPMN for Business People
The purpose of this presentation is to introduce business people to BPMN, its usages and benefits
An Introduction to BPMN for Business People – Part 1 Michael Moyal Solutions Manager – BPM Practice Introduction to BPMN Our Commitment is your Success The purpose of this presentation is to introduce business people to BPMN, its usages and benefits What is BPMN Our Commitment is your Success
- B usiness P rocess M odeling N otation
- Graphical notation for drawing business processes
- An industry standard developed by the OMG consortium, a not-for-profit industry group
- Provides businesses with the capability of defining and understanding their procedures through Business Process Diagrams (BPDs)
Aims Our Commitment is your Success
- To provide a standard notation that is readily understandable by all business stakeholders
- To bridge the communication gap that frequently occurs between business process design and implementation
- To create a common business language understood by all
Why use BPMN? Our Commitment is your Success
- Have become widely accepted
- Replaces numerous process modeling languages, notations and methods
- Simple to learn yet powerful enough to depict the potential complexities of a business process
- Vendor neutral with wide tool support (over 45 vendors now officially support the standard)
Why Should You Care?
- Processes are at the core of any organisation, yet they are not always clearly defined, documented or optimised
- The need to bridge the communication gap between business and IT is stronger then ever
- As the rate of change in the business environment increases and with greater pressure to become more efficient; organisations must form a clear view of how their processes operate
- BPMN offers a notation that you can use to document your own processes without ambiguity
Our Commitment is your Success How?
- Create business process diagrams (BPDs)
- Utilising a defined set of diagram elements (objects)
- Draw each step in the process
- Make use of the relevant diagram elements to document events, activities and decision points
- Show the complete end-to-end process flow from start to finish
Our Commitment is your Success Flow objects
- The flow objects are the three core elements of the notation:
Our Commitment is your Success Event – A trigger or a result that “happens” during the course of a business process and which affect the flow of the Process Activity – the work that is performed within a business process Gateways – are decisions points that are used to control how sequence flows interact as they converge and diverge within a process. Connecting objects
- A Sequence Flow is used to show the order that activities will be performed in a Process.
- A Message Flow is used to show the flow of messages between two entities that are prepared to send and receive them.
- An Association is used to associate information and artifacts with flow objects.
Our Commitment is your Success Pools and Swimlanes Our Commitment is your Success
- A Pool is a graphical container for partitioning a set of activities from other pools.
- A Lane is a sub- partition within a Pool
- They can be used to represent, for example, roles, departments, locations or different organisations
Artifacts Our Commitment is your Success Data Objects are not flow objects (i.e., connected through Sequence Flow), but they do provide information about how documents, data, and other objects are used and updated within a Process. Text Annotations are effectively notes that can be added to a diagram to provide additional information for the reader Groups provide a mechanism to visually organise activities, in addition to swimlanes Example Our Commitment is your Success Conclusion
- BPMN is an easy to use, well established method for process discovery and documentation
- Provides the capability to capture and document your processes within days (with the right tool/s)
- Remember !!!
- Carrying out process discovery and documentation is only the start of the journey for improvement and change
Our Commitment is your Success
Our Commitment is your Success Thanks for your attention!