A time management software guide for anyone who wants to be more productive
Blog: Monday Project Management Blog
Everyone and their mom understands the value of time. As the saying goes “Time is money.”
Sadly, not everyone knows how to manage it.
According to research, the main challenge for most PMOs (Project Management Offices) is trying to run many projects at once (a pretty clear sign they don’t know how to prioritize projects and time).
Luckily, the right time management software could improve your efforts. But with so many options available, finding one could require one.
Here’s the good news:
To save you some time, we’ve done the work for you and created a quick list of the features and traits you should look for in any time management platform, including one option that we think stands out above the rest.
Let’s rock and roll.
A quick primer: What is time management software?
Time management is the conscious process of planning, organizing, and distributing your time in the most efficient way. And time management software eases up the process.
For example, let’s say you run an Agile software development agency.
You could use a time management tool to manage your sprints, track how much time your team is spending on each task, and calculate billable hours.
If you manage a customer support team, you could use it to track inquiries and monitor waitlist time.
And if you’re a freelancer, you can use it to manage client work, send invoices, and communicate with your clients efficiently.
In essence, a time management platform helps you collaborate with your teammates, distribute workload, and make sure everything’s on track.
What makes a great time management tool?
That’s a crucial question.
With so many options available, it can be hard to tell the difference between a bad platform and a good one.
So, what should you look for in time management software?
Well, even though this depends on what you need, some “must-haves” include:
- A distraction-free interface to keep your team focused and increase productivity.
- Prioritization tools to distribute workload appropriately, set dependencies between tasks, and make sure you’re working effectively.
- Time-tracking to measure where you’re spending time and get valuable insights on how to better allocate your resources.
- Scheduling to make sure you’re on track and see who’s doing what across the entire project lifecycle.
- Collaboration to communicate with teammates, share vital files, and make sure everyone’s on the same page.
Besides, choosing the right platform to manage your time and projects is like buying a new home: it depends on your needs and budget.
The bigger your family, the bigger the home, right?
So, before choosing a platform, ask yourself: do you simply want to increase productivity and manage your personal time? If so, many of the platforms in this list will cut it.
Don’t get us wrong, time management is essential for any project, but, on its own, isn’t enough.
To manage a project, you need:
- Automations: to save time on recurring tasks and focus on what really matters.
- Powerful collaboration: to keep everyone on the same page and move faster.
- Resource management: to use all your resources in the most efficient way.
- Data visualizations: to turn raw data into actionable insights.
- Advanced reporting: to keep stakeholders happy and make sure you’re on the right path.
- Risk management: to design contingency plans and calculate risks on projects.
And many more features.
For example, a recent industry survey reveals the most-used project management software features include:
And you’ll be glad to hear that monday.com offers all of these.
What is monday.com?
First, we’re more than just a time management software.
Of course we understand how crucial time is for your organization, and we’ve put a huge amount of effort into building an intuitive platform that keeps your team productive. But that’s just the beginning.
monday.com is like a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird for your team, where time is the fuel.
At mach 3.5 (the speed of sound), you could travel from New York to London in less than 2 hours.
And when you use monday.com to manage your projects, every minute you spend on the platform fuels your engines and gets you closer to your goals.
For instance, by adopting monday.com, Zippo saved 36 weeks per year updating their product backlog.
And they aren’t alone.
The NHL saved 4 weeks per custom application development cycle by using our platform.
And Telefonica — one of the world’s largest communication companies — claims to be 30% more efficient thanks to our system.
In short, we’re a powerful project management system you can use to save time, tackle any kind of project, and deliver better results.
Some of the great things you can do with our platform include:
- Centralize communication: bring in all your team to the platform, get all your information in one place, and improve collaboration across your departments.
- Collaborate effectively: share files with coworkers, turn meetings into action items, automate notifications, assign tasks, and much more.
- Save time: visualize how you’re distributing your time and get rid of bottlenecks.
- Deliver better projects: manage your team with efficiency and make sure you’re always on track.
- Delight stakeholders: keep your stakeholders happy at every stage of the process through powerful reporting and communication features.
- Measure progress: monitor progress against KPIs and customize your reports.
- Customize your workflows: get access to drag-and-drop columns, custom dashboards, over 200 templates, and more.
- Data visualizations: including Gantt chart, Kanban board, maps, timeline, and more.
And much more.
Make sure to read our product overview page to get a full description of all the things we offer.
But you’re here to learn more about time management software, right?
So let’s quickly talk about some of our features that’ll help you get the most out of your time.
monday.com’s time management features
- Exact time frames: With our built-in timer, you can easily track how much time you spend on specific activities. Simply select a task, turn the timer on, and it’ll automatically start recording time spent.
- On the go tracking: One of the best things about adopting monday.com is that we offer multiple ways to access our platform. Just download our mobile app and track your time anywhere, anytime.
- Seamless integrations: With just a couple of clicks, you can integrate your favorite tools and apps and consolidate all your information into a single platform.
Time management templates
At monday.com, we hand you more than 200 templates for different use cases, including time management.
The good news?
These templates are fully customizable —you can install them in one click and adapt them with your information in minutes (literally).
Some of our most popular templates for time management include:
1. Daily task tracker
With this template, you can keep a close eye on the progress of your personal work and measure how much time you spend on each activity.
In addition, this template helps you organize your work by day, track the status of your tasks, and add a projected scope of work.
2. Team task management
This template helps you get rid of unnecessary meetings with your team and kiss tedious email conversations goodbye for good.
How, you ask?
Well, the main goal of this template is to increase transparency into your activities. Everyone in your team can visualize who’s doing what and measure progress. This not only increases productivity, but also encourages people to stay accountable.
3. Project tracker template
This template helps you measure progress not of tasks, but projects.
You can monitor whether a specific project is on time, stuck, or done. Also, you can see who’s in charge of such a project at a glance.
This way, you can always adjust your strategy with speed and save time.
Ready to get started?
As a project manager, time is one of your most valuable assets, so you need to manage it right.
But remember that project management is more than just tracking time and overseeing a list of tasks. We’re talking about managing a team, allocating resources, making tough decisions, and making sure everything’s on the right track.
So, even though most platforms on this list work well for time management, they aren’t great for managing complex projects.
That’s why we believe that, in this case, we have the upper hand.
If you’re ready to see how monday.com can improve the way you work, why don’t you try our project planning template?
The post A time management software guide for anyone who wants to be more productive appeared first on monday.com Blog.