5 Key Benefits of Infrastructure Automation
Blog: NASSCOM Official Blog
In a digital world, bringing high-quality products into the market as quickly as possible has displaced all other business priorities. Organizations that are successful in accelerating their product development processes stay ahead of the curve. Yet, it takes days (or even weeks) from the time a request is made to when the service is fully deployed – leading to an ever-increasing backlog of infrastructure-related requests. And response and turnaround times take a beating.
Improving IT speed and agility, while reducing complexity, is a difficult undertaking. The right team, right tools, and right infrastructure are required to attain this improvement.
How do teams accelerate the process then, one might ask! By embracing the world of infrastructure automation!
Infrastructure automation is transforming the product development landscape
Managing and provisioning workloads – on-premises or in a cloud environment – takes up a whole lot of precious development time, especially when done manually. An ad-hoc, reactive approach to infrastructure provisioning has, unfortunately, become the norm. But the impact of such an approach on product development is extremely far-reaching. Teams get overrun with requests, the chances of error are high, and time-to-market is often delayed.
The result? Poor customer satisfaction, competitive position, and brand reputation. The solution? Infrastructure automation!
Infrastructure automation is fast transforming the product development landscape. Automating the process of server provisioning, configuration management, and code deployments is enabling teams to achieve faster application delivery while eliminating human error and paving the way for greater consistency.
Using practices such as Infrastructure as Code, infrastructure automation can help teams deploy new applications or update dependencies fast. Since it automatically carries out repetitive and routine tasks, manual efforts are minimized, allowing teams to adapt to diverse on-premises or cloud-based infrastructures.
Infrastructure automation also brings in a great degree of uniformity in infrastructure deployments while helping orchestrate changes across environments—quickly and effectively—allowing developers to drive all their focus on developing quality and feature-rich software.
The benefits of Infrastructure Automation are manifold
Automated provisioning of infrastructure can have a huge impact on the bottom line. Since all manual steps and intervention are eliminated, teams can achieve immutable releases with zero down-time. Here are some key benefits of infrastructure automation:
- Reduced complexity: One of the top benefits of infrastructure automation is the reduction in the complexity of provisioning (and managing) IT infrastructure. Unlike traditional approaches that needed significant investment by teams—both in terms of cost and effort—to plan to, customize, implement, and maintain IT infrastructure, infrastructure automation is a cost-effective solution to managing the complexity that comes with infrastructure provisioning. Not only does it reduce the administrative burden, but it also helps IT teams provide immediate value.
- More efficient workflows: Through automation of a variety of IT provisioning tasks with great efficiency and accuracy, infrastructure automation lays the foundation for more efficient workflows. Teams can set the conditions to provision infrastructure and ensure they are executed only when the right condition is met. Since each task within a workflow can have separate dependencies, teams can have more control over how servers or other infrastructure get provisioned.
- Faster delivery: Because infrastructure automation automates the process of IT provisioning, it also greatly reduces the time (and effort) needed to set up the underlying infrastructure. Teams can get started with building products sooner and bring them to the market faster—thus outpacing the competition and meeting the customer demands effectively.
- Reduced error: Infrastructure automation also greatly reduces the error rate associated with manual provisioning of servers. Since all the necessary infrastructure gets provisioned automatically, without any human intervention, it reduces the chances (and impact) of error while empowering IT teams to focus on tasks that are mission-critical for the organization.
- Reduced costs: Infrastructure automation eliminates the need for large teams to perform a lot of manual steps to get started with product development. Hence, it can help save on staffing costs. For organizations that have large teams and complex infrastructures, the savings could be extensive and the improvement in quality substantial.
When it comes to driving value quickly, automating repetitive tasks is a great way for IT teams to step up and focus on things that really matter. In the world of product development, IT infrastructure automation holds great promise. By automating the process of provisioning and maintaining complex servers and other critical IT infrastructure, infrastructure automation has the potential to transform nearly every aspect of on-premises and cloud environments. Embrace infrastructure automation today to make IT deployments far more efficient, reduce errors, and improve time-to-market.
The post 5 Key Benefits of Infrastructure Automation appeared first on NASSCOM Community |The Official Community of Indian IT Industry.